RAGBRAI Informational Update
Filed under "News"
More articles »
Friday, March 11, 2016
The Leon RAGBRAI Executive Committee, Committee Chairs, and Law Enforcement met with other RAGBRAI town representatives on Thursday, March 10 in Des Moines. The purpose of this meeting was to learn more about what to expect as an overnight town host, and most of these lessons came from overnight town hosts from 2015. From this meeting, the committee would like you to know the following things:
- The RAGBRAI staff and crew will be coming through Leon in June to do a pre-ride of the full RAGBRAI route. As we learn the date they’ll be staying, we’ll announce it in the paper and on our website.
- The Hospitality Committee will hold a town meeting in early April to unveil the logo. When the theme is finalized, it will be announced in the paper and at www.ragbraileon.com.
- The Hospitality Committee will have t-shirts available for sale in a couple months, so that residents and businesses can pre-buy shirts, and wear them for a couple days leading up to RAGBRAI to get the community in the right spirit.
- It’s estimated that we need 300-400 volunteers, so if you or anyone you know would like to volunteer, please contact Kolton Hewlett at 641-344-0624, or email at email@example.com. Over the next couple of weeks, we’ll also make a volunteer sign up form available on the website. Even if you don’t know what committee you want to volunteer for, please sign up, and we can help guide you to the right committee! You can volunteer for as much or as little time as you’d like. We will need volunteers on both July 26 and the morning of July 27.
- The town website (www.ragbraileon.com) will undergo a major update on March 24. On that date, lots more information will be available on the website, such as campground placement, bands who will provide entertainment, a form to sign up if you want to host riders in your home or on your lawn, and many other things. Be sure to check out the website on March 25 for all these updates!
- The Publicity Committee is in the process of creating advertising packages for area businesses and vendors. For one price, you can have your business name, (or logo and an ad in some cases) included in many RAGBRAI marketing materials. Businesses will be contacted at a later date when these packages are available.
- A form will soon be available at www.ragbraileon.com for vendors to register and pay their vendor fees.
- If you’d like to receive updates about RAGBRAI via email, visit www.ragbraileon.com/contact and enter your name and email address at the bottom of the form. When we have weekly updates in the newspaper, we’ll also send these via email.
- Finally, the RAGBRAI committee would like to address some concern from the community. Although there are many expenses associated with RAGBRAI including additional law enforcement, public safety, sanitation and recycling, transportation, publicity, and many others, please be aware that no taxpayer dollars will be used to fund theRAGBRAI activities. All monies that are needed to run the event will come from vendor fees, donations, advertising dollars, and volunteer hours donated by the RAGBRAIExecutive Committee and individual Committee Chairs and volunteers. In fact, the entire city will benefit from RAGBRAI in a substantial way, because all vendors will be required to get a temporary tax license, and will charge the additional 1% sales tax to riders and community members who purchase goods and services that day (in addition to the increased revenue of many other businesses in the community) that will all come back to our community.
Leon RAGBRAI Committee